A spectacular exhibition of the Sistine Chapel’s iconic scenes has opened at Hull Minster.
“Michelangelo – A Different View” is being staged from today (October 8) until November 18 at the magnificent, 700-year-old church, with more than 8,000 people already booked to attend.
The exhibition offers art lovers the opportunity to admire the wonders of the Sistine Chapel in a religious setting other than the Vatican for the first time.
The exhibition is free to enter, but a ticketing system for specified time slots applies to ensure visitors enjoy an uncrowded and unhurried experience.
The exhibition features more than 50 superbly-detailed reproductions of Renaissance master Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel works, including the famous “Creation of Adam”, a depiction of God giving life to the first man, and a six metres square reproduction of “The Last Judgement”.
The exhibition will offer an up-close-and-personal experience, with visitors learning how Michelangelo created the stunning frescoes and the meaning behind them.
Although entrance is free for all but the intimate viewing sessions, to make the event open to everyone, visitors are being encouraged to show their appreciation by donating what they can to support Hull Minster’s vital work in the city.
Tickets for the exhibition can now be booked in the following ways:
- Through the Hull Minster website at hullminster.org/sistine
- At the Hull Minster Shop.
- On the day, if the allocation for each time slot has not been met.
- For group/coach visits, call 0843 289 1945 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The exhibition will be open from Monday to Saturday. It will be closed on Sundays to allow services to take place as normal. Viewing times are as follows:
- General viewing: 10am-8pm. Free entry (200 tickets per session).
- Intimate viewing: 8am-9am and 9pm-10pm. £5 entry (50 tickets per session).
- Quiet/accessible viewing: Wednesdays and Saturdays, 10am-12pm. Free entry (100 tickets per session).
- Parent and toddler viewing; Fridays, 10am-12pm. Free entry (100 tickets per session).
A varied events programme is also be running at the Minster so these days and times are a general guide only. Confirmed viewing times and a full list of events can be found on the Hull Minster website or will be available at the point of booking your ticket.
Members of the public of all ages are also be able to participate in an extensive programme of arts activities and courses, inspired by the exhibition and supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
Details and tickets for all the activities, courses and events are available at www.hullminster.org/events or the Minster Shop, unless otherwise stated.