Friary Youth Hostel, Friars Lane, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 0DF
Come and visit one of Beverley’s secret buildings. The Friary is within 150 metres of the Minster and yet relatively few people know that it exists. It consists of a row of buildings, all that remains above ground of the original Dominican Friary.
Beverley’s Friary was founded in 1233. The Friary church and cloisters now lie below the railway line and a road called Armstrong Way: the east end of the church is outlined in modern brick in front of East Riding College. The archbishop of York ( lord of Beverley) confirmed Stephen the Goldsmith’s gift of the site to the Dominicans, also known as the Black Friars from the colour of their robes. The first buildings would have been constructed of timber, gradually replaced by stone, brick and tile. The present buildings may have been the friars’ library and dormitory: or they may have been rebuilt after the Reformation using original materials.