The bigger shopping centres offer everything you need for a day of retail therapy – well-known brands, somewhere to park the car and pit-stops for when you need tea and cake. Try out St Stephens on Ferensway for posh pants, new shoes or a fancy pair of specs. Princes Quay has a mix of independent shops and high street brands, as well as a cinema and bowling alley. Prospect Shopping Centre is the place for games and gifts in the city, while the North Point Shopping Centre in Bransholme is one of the biggest and busiest shopping centres in Hull, with over 50 shops to choose from.
For something a little bit more independent, Trinity Indoor Market offer quality coffee, confectionary, meat, fresh fruit and veg. Just next door, Hepworth Arcade is a Grade II listed shopping arcade in the Old Town, dating all the way back to the late 1800s. Stop in to visit Dinsdale’s famous joke shop or take a peek at Beasley’s incredible hat shop. Hepworth Arcade was also home to one of the first ever Marks and Spencer penny bazaars, before they moved up the road to their newer ‘large cool store’ (as Larkin put it).
Fruit Market is home to Früit, a vibrant arts and events space in the city, who host the Humber Street Market on the third Sunday of every month. Pop by for fashion, food, furniture and antiques. It’s not just about the market though – Fruit Market is home to loads of other independent creative businesses too.
Why not try…
Hull’s unbelievable selection of independent record stores, who all work closely with the record labels in the city. Check out…
- Funkywormhole, who specialise in soul, funk, R&B and reggae in their Bowlalley Lane store. They hire out their own funkadelic sound system too.
- Spin-It Records, a vinyl-only institution in Trinity Market, with over 20,000 LPs and singles.
- GO Records, selling new and second hand vinyl from the 1950s to now on Cottingham Road.
- Minster Records who have a huge selection of music in their shop in Beverley, and are always keen to promote local acts.
- The Hull Record Fair happens every two months at the Mercure Royal Hotel, bringing the UK’s best vinyl dealers together in Hull.