19 Highgate, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 0DN
The Monks’ Walk: enter this famous and ancient pub and take a tour of its rooms and extensive site.
The Monks’ Walk (formerly the George and Dragon) is an ancient collection of Grade II* buildings refronted in the 18th century. Inside much exposed timber in the roofs and walls, some of which may date from the 14th century. Massive chimney breasts survive. The passage that runs through the buildings is dated 1671 on the north side and has medieval timber framed walls to the south. One of Beverley’s oldest secular buildings, with many legends attached to it. A large yard to the east, with an extensive beer garden. In 1655, when it belonged to the Bethells of Rise, the inn was called the George ‘in the Londoner Street’, another name for Highgate, after the London merchants who attended the annual fair here.