St. Augustine’s church, popularly known as ‘the King of Holderness’, is believed to date from 1180 during the reign of Henry II.
The church was built by the ‘pious liberality’ of the merchant burgesses of Hedon giving thanks to God for the prosperity of their town and port.
Sadly as the fortunes of the borough declined construction work took on an economy of style although the overall proportions of the church remained as planned by the founders. The tower was added in 1437, 250 years after the foundation stone was laid.
Today in the church we can admire all the main medieval architectural styles of masonry from Early English to Perpendicular.
Limited Tower tours available (adults only) 19 & 20 September 2020